What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is the first decentralized cryptocoin ever built on top of a blockchain. It was created by an anonymous person or group of people with the nickname Satoshi Nakamoto in 2009 as an open source project. To understand the Bitcoin blockchain we can imagine a book, where each page number contains a signature that can validate the content of that page and its previous one. This signature is computed by an algorithm known as SHA-256 and cannot be reversed. In other words we can calculate the A-256 signature from some content, but we can’t get content if we know its SHA-256 signature. Back to the example with the book: if we tear out a page from the book, we can easily understand that a page is missing. The same is with adding an inexistent page. All the pages are copied between members of the chain, and this is why the Bitcoin Blockchain is considered a distributed network. Bitcoin is an open source project maintained by a developer team with over 580 active contributors. The code of the chain is available on Github. The main purpose of Bitcoin was decentralized but trusted, low fee money transactions between people and businesses around the world. Nowadays over 100.000 vendors accept Bitcoin for payments. And there are between 2.9 and 5.8 million unique users who actively use Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallets. The price of Bitcoin can be very volatile due to speculation and has changed in the past more than +/-20% during a single.
- Historical Data
* Currency in USD
Historical Price for Bitcoin
- Universal Protocol Alliance introduces tradable carbon tokenCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour ago“Combine a digital asset with a rainforest carbon offset and give everyone in the world access.” An alliance of crypto firms is introducing tokenized carbon…
- Coinbase executed MicroStrategy’s $425M Bitcoin purchase in September 2020Cointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoOne of the largest Bitcoin purchases in 2020 took more than five days to complete. Coinbase, the United States’ largest cryptocurrency exchange, announced that itfacilitated…
- Bitcoin suddenly crashes below $19K after all-time high sparks wild volatilityCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoBTC price trims $1,600 in under two hours thanks to pressure from sellers near $20,000, while Ether also tanks below $600. Bitcoin (BTC) continued an…
- Russia’s Alfa-Bank offers blockchain platform for freelancersCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoTutors, taxi drivers and repairmen will be able to take advantage of Alfa-Bank’s blockchain-based services. Alfa-Bank, one of the largest private commercial banks in Russia,…
- Ethereum 2.0 is go: Genesis block of beacon chain winks into existenceCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoEthereum’s proof-of-stake transition takes another step toward completion. After literally years in the making, the genesis block of the Ethereum 2.0 beacon chain has finally…