What is Dogecoin?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin’s popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin’s mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin’s developer Billy Markus based this coin’s code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin’s community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin’s development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- Historical Data
- Professional traders need a global crypto sea, not hundreds of lakesCointelegraph.com News – 4 hours agoThe cryptocurrency trading market is in its early stages, with regulations playing a key role in market fragmentation. Coinbase’s IPO announcement has been hailed as…
- Inverse Finance seizes tokens, ships code: Launches stablecoin lending protocolCointelegraph.com News – 11 hours agoOne of DeFi’s strangest experiments continues to push the envelope in both governance and architecture. Shortly after culling its community of inactive members, one of…
- 3 reasons why Reef Finance, Bridge Mutual and Morpheus Network are rallyingCointelegraph.com News – 13 hours agoStrong fundamentals and new partnerships back the strong rallies in Morpheus Network, Bridge Mutual and Reef Finance. As new institutional and retail investors enter the…
- Bitcoin plunges, Ethereum suffers, Musk loses billions: Hodler’s Digest, Feb. 21–27Cointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoComing every Saturday, Hodlers Digest will help you track every single important news story that happened this week. The best (and worst) quotes, adoption and…
- This bullish Bitcoin options strategy lets traders speculate on BTC price with less riskCointelegraph.com News – 16 hours agoHate being liquidated? Here’s how traders use the Long Butterfly options strategy to generate profits with less downside risk. Historical data shows that it is…