What is Ethereum?
Ethereum is a decentralized operating system. The platform introduced, in practice, the concept of “decentralized applications”. Its founder, Vitalik Buterin, has been engaged in the development of blockchain and Bitcoin since its inception.
Today, several cryptocurrencies are issued in ICOs using Ethereum. These tokens are called ERC-20, and they are the foundation for running scripts in the Ethereum Virtual Machine. Through the development of “smart contracts”, Ethereum made it possible to sign tokens that have a specific function besides being a medium of exchange and broadened the capabilities of blockchain “transactions”.
Its key cryptocurrency is the Ether, which is usually used for payments in smart contracts or dApps. In addition, Ethereum is also fueled with GAS, a cryptocurrency associated with operations that require some kind of computation from its nodes. The GAS price is proportional to the type of the computational power required execute a task. Therefore, a fee in GAS is included to pay for the nodes running or authenticating a transaction.
Originally, Ethereum used proof-of-work to reach consensus. The Casper protocol, however, gradually shifted Ethereum consensus from PoW to a custom proof-of-stake protocol.
- Historical Data
- Professional traders need a global crypto sea, not hundreds of lakesCointelegraph.com News – 4 hours agoThe cryptocurrency trading market is in its early stages, with regulations playing a key role in market fragmentation. Coinbase’s IPO announcement has been hailed as…
- Inverse Finance seizes tokens, ships code: Launches stablecoin lending protocolCointelegraph.com News – 11 hours agoOne of DeFi’s strangest experiments continues to push the envelope in both governance and architecture. Shortly after culling its community of inactive members, one of…
- 3 reasons why Reef Finance, Bridge Mutual and Morpheus Network are rallyingCointelegraph.com News – 13 hours agoStrong fundamentals and new partnerships back the strong rallies in Morpheus Network, Bridge Mutual and Reef Finance. As new institutional and retail investors enter the…
- Bitcoin plunges, Ethereum suffers, Musk loses billions: Hodler’s Digest, Feb. 21–27Cointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoComing every Saturday, Hodlers Digest will help you track every single important news story that happened this week. The best (and worst) quotes, adoption and…
- This bullish Bitcoin options strategy lets traders speculate on BTC price with less riskCointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoHate being liquidated? Here’s how traders use the Long Butterfly options strategy to generate profits with less downside risk. Historical data shows that it is…