What is Ethereum?
Ethereum is a decentralized operating system. The platform introduced, in practice, the concept of "decentralized applications". Its founder, Vitalik Buterin, has been engaged in the development of blockchain and Bitcoin since its inception. Today, several cryptocurrencies are issued in ICOs using Ethereum. These tokens are called ERC-20, and they are the foundation for running scripts in the Ethereum Virtual Machine. Through the development of "smart contracts", Ethereum made it possible to sign tokens that have a specific function besides being a medium of exchange and broadened the capabilities of blockchain "transactions". Its key cryptocurrency is the Ether, which is usually used for payments in smart contracts or dApps. In addition, Ethereum is also fueled with GAS, a cryptocurrency associated with operations that require some kind of computation from its nodes. The GAS price is proportional to the type of the computational power required execute a task. Therefore, a fee in GAS is included to pay for the nodes running or authenticating a transaction. Originally, Ethereum used proof-of-work to reach consensus. The Casper protocol, however, gradually shifted Ethereum consensus from PoW to a custom proof-of-stake protocol.
- Historical Data
* Currency in USD
Historical Price for Ethereum
- Law Decoded: How I learned to stop worrying and love the election, Oct. 23-30Cointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoThe age-old question quis custodiet ipsos custodes crops up in force in today’s Law Decoded. The United States is girding its loins for an election…
- Back on track: US macro events unlikely to fully derail Bitcoin price gainsCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoAs the U.S. stock market enters earnings season, analysts explain how Bitcoin could perform after earnings and the presidential election. Tech-heavy stock market indices, including…
- Future elections could be held on the Cardano blockchain, says HoskinsonCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoThat being said, scaling decentralized e-voting systems is a complex task. In an interview with Cointelegraph, Charles Hoskinson suggested that a Cardano-based solution might make blockchain voting…
- Tim Draper seeks to ‘DeFi‘ the venture capital business with BitcoinCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoTim Draper remains bullish on DeFi and Bitcoin but thinks regulation has not caught up with the technology. Two years ago, venture capitalist and noted…
- Cointelegraph Consulting: Data shows Bitcoin hodlers becoming more activeCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoHow does Bitcoin’s positive online sentiment affect the market outlook? Data suggests that holders are suddenly becoming more active. The latest findings by Santiment, published…