What is Ethereum?
Ethereum is a decentralized operating system. The platform introduced, in practice, the concept of “decentralized applications”. Its founder, Vitalik Buterin, has been engaged in the development of blockchain and Bitcoin since its inception. Today, several cryptocurrencies are issued in ICOs using Ethereum. These tokens are called ERC-20, and they are the foundation for running scripts in the Ethereum Virtual Machine. Through the development of “smart contracts”, Ethereum made it possible to sign tokens that have a specific function besides being a medium of exchange and broadened the capabilities of blockchain “transactions”. Its key cryptocurrency is the Ether, which is usually used for payments in smart contracts or dApps. In addition, Ethereum is also fueled with GAS, a cryptocurrency associated with operations that require some kind of computation from its nodes. The GAS price is proportional to the type of the computational power required execute a task. Therefore, a fee in GAS is included to pay for the nodes running or authenticating a transaction. Originally, Ethereum used proof-of-work to reach consensus. The Casper protocol, however, gradually shifted Ethereum consensus from PoW to a custom proof-of-stake protocol.
- Historical Data
* Currency in USD
Historical Price for Ethereum
- Peak fear? Bitcoin futures leverage gets reset by this week's wild price swingsCointelegraph.com News – 9 hours agoBitcoin futures leverage is dropping steeply, indicating that traders are fearful or uncertain about the BTC price trend. The leverage used in the Bitcoin (BTC)…
- Bitcoin has become nothing but the new Che Guevara T-shirtCointelegraph.com News – 12 hours agoBitcoin promised to create a new normal in finance, but it turned out to be nothing but the old normal with a new face. The…
- China turns up pace on CBDC release, tests infrastructure prior to adoptionCointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoThe yuan is not seen as a major currency. Could digitizing it change that? China is breaking new ground in the Shenzhen region and beyond.…
- Bitcoin bulls buy BTC’s $35K support retest as altcoins push higherCointelegraph.com News – 23 hours agoBitcoin’s lower support retest was bought up by bulls, preparing BTC for another push to $40,000. Calls for Bitcoin (BTC) to rally above $40,000 were…
- GBTC has a new a competitor in the OTC Bitcoin trust marketCointelegraph.com News – 1 day agoAnother way to buy Bitcoin in stock form has surfaced. A firm called Osprey Funds is offering an over-the-counter, or OTC, Bitcoin (BTC) trust under…