What is Tether?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain. The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses. Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
* Currency in USD
Historical Price for Tether
- Law Decoded: How I learned to stop worrying and love the election, Oct. 23-30Cointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoThe age-old question quis custodiet ipsos custodes crops up in force in today’s Law Decoded. The United States is girding its loins for an election…
- Back on track: US macro events unlikely to fully derail Bitcoin price gainsCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoAs the U.S. stock market enters earnings season, analysts explain how Bitcoin could perform after earnings and the presidential election. Tech-heavy stock market indices, including…
- Future elections could be held on the Cardano blockchain, says HoskinsonCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoThat being said, scaling decentralized e-voting systems is a complex task. In an interview with Cointelegraph, Charles Hoskinson suggested that a Cardano-based solution might make blockchain voting…
- Tim Draper seeks to ‘DeFi‘ the venture capital business with BitcoinCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoTim Draper remains bullish on DeFi and Bitcoin but thinks regulation has not caught up with the technology. Two years ago, venture capitalist and noted…
- Cointelegraph Consulting: Data shows Bitcoin hodlers becoming more activeCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoHow does Bitcoin’s positive online sentiment affect the market outlook? Data suggests that holders are suddenly becoming more active. The latest findings by Santiment, published…