What is Tether?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain. The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses. Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
* Currency in USD
Historical Price for Tether
- Universal Protocol Alliance introduces tradable carbon tokenCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour ago“Combine a digital asset with a rainforest carbon offset and give everyone in the world access.” An alliance of crypto firms is introducing tokenized carbon…
- Coinbase executed MicroStrategy’s $425M Bitcoin purchase in September 2020Cointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoOne of the largest Bitcoin purchases in 2020 took more than five days to complete. Coinbase, the United States’ largest cryptocurrency exchange, announced that itfacilitated…
- Bitcoin suddenly crashes below $19K after all-time high sparks wild volatilityCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoBTC price trims $1,600 in under two hours thanks to pressure from sellers near $20,000, while Ether also tanks below $600. Bitcoin (BTC) continued an…
- Russia’s Alfa-Bank offers blockchain platform for freelancersCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoTutors, taxi drivers and repairmen will be able to take advantage of Alfa-Bank’s blockchain-based services. Alfa-Bank, one of the largest private commercial banks in Russia,…
- Ethereum 2.0 is go: Genesis block of beacon chain winks into existenceCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoEthereum’s proof-of-stake transition takes another step toward completion. After literally years in the making, the genesis block of the Ethereum 2.0 beacon chain has finally…