What is Tether?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain. The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses. Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
* Currency in USD
Historical Price for Tether
- Peak fear? Bitcoin futures leverage gets reset by this week's wild price swingsCointelegraph.com News – 9 hours agoBitcoin futures leverage is dropping steeply, indicating that traders are fearful or uncertain about the BTC price trend. The leverage used in the Bitcoin (BTC)…
- Bitcoin has become nothing but the new Che Guevara T-shirtCointelegraph.com News – 12 hours agoBitcoin promised to create a new normal in finance, but it turned out to be nothing but the old normal with a new face. The…
- China turns up pace on CBDC release, tests infrastructure prior to adoptionCointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoThe yuan is not seen as a major currency. Could digitizing it change that? China is breaking new ground in the Shenzhen region and beyond.…
- Bitcoin bulls buy BTC’s $35K support retest as altcoins push higherCointelegraph.com News – 23 hours agoBitcoin’s lower support retest was bought up by bulls, preparing BTC for another push to $40,000. Calls for Bitcoin (BTC) to rally above $40,000 were…
- GBTC has a new a competitor in the OTC Bitcoin trust marketCointelegraph.com News – 1 day agoAnother way to buy Bitcoin in stock form has surfaced. A firm called Osprey Funds is offering an over-the-counter, or OTC, Bitcoin (BTC) trust under…