What is Tether?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- Following massive BTC purchase announcement, MicroStrategy says it may sell up to $1B in stockCointelegraph.com News – 11 hours agoThe firm said it intended to use the proceeds from the offering “for general corporate purposes, including the acquisition of Bitcoin.” The same day business…
- Algorand (ALGO) price strengthens as institutional investors back the projectCointelegraph.com News – 11 hours agoBacking from institutional investors and a series of new partnerships could help ALGO break from its current range in the coming week. Consolidation periods tend…
- Price analysis 6/14: BTC, ETH, BNB, ADA, DOGE, XRP, DOT, UNI, LTC, BCHCointelegraph.com News – 13 hours agoBitcoin’s surge above $40,000 and the breakouts from select altcoins may be signals that the bottoming process has begun. Bitcoin (BTC) has risen above the…
- French Football Federation launches official player NFTs with SorareCointelegraph.com News – 13 hours agoLes Bleus players and their sports stats will be tokenized on the blockchain for trading and playing in fantasy games. With the Euro 2020 championship…
- ‘Bitcoin is not an asset that is designed to be leveraged,’ says Caitlin LongCointelegraph.com News – 14 hours agoThe Avanti Financial CEO says Bitcoin shouldn’t be leveraged and that regulations for stablecoins are underway. All eyes are on Bitcoin (BTC), with the largest…