What is Tether?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- Professional traders need a global crypto sea, not hundreds of lakesCointelegraph.com News – 4 hours agoThe cryptocurrency trading market is in its early stages, with regulations playing a key role in market fragmentation. Coinbase’s IPO announcement has been hailed as…
- Inverse Finance seizes tokens, ships code: Launches stablecoin lending protocolCointelegraph.com News – 11 hours agoOne of DeFi’s strangest experiments continues to push the envelope in both governance and architecture. Shortly after culling its community of inactive members, one of…
- 3 reasons why Reef Finance, Bridge Mutual and Morpheus Network are rallyingCointelegraph.com News – 13 hours agoStrong fundamentals and new partnerships back the strong rallies in Morpheus Network, Bridge Mutual and Reef Finance. As new institutional and retail investors enter the…
- Bitcoin plunges, Ethereum suffers, Musk loses billions: Hodler’s Digest, Feb. 21–27Cointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoComing every Saturday, Hodlers Digest will help you track every single important news story that happened this week. The best (and worst) quotes, adoption and…
- This bullish Bitcoin options strategy lets traders speculate on BTC price with less riskCointelegraph.com News – 15 hours agoHate being liquidated? Here’s how traders use the Long Butterfly options strategy to generate profits with less downside risk. Historical data shows that it is…